My journey into Lap Band land.

Hello! I am currently 36 years old and have made the decision to have the Lap Band surgery done. This is my journal from the time of my decision and all the steps that will follow. I am hoping to find people that can relate with me or to help those who are looking for answers regarding this procedure.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Good news Bad news

I received my phone call regarding insurance. My insurance is a very good insurance....they will cover 100% of the surgery (apparently that does not include anesthesiologists) and don't require any supervised diet period before the surgery. However I do have to have documentation that I've tried diets in the past. My problem is that I never really stuck to the diets for very long so I don't know if that will go against me or not.

The bad news.....they have a $1000 program fee!!!! I had heard about program fees but did not know it would be that much. The office said it's pretty standard and they have a pretty low fee, yet the first place I called after them had a $200 program fee the next had a $500 fee. I don't understand....my 100% covered surgery is going to be close to $2000 with their program fee and anesthesiologist. I made an appointment for the 'seminar' at the place with the $200 fee, we'll see if I like that surgeon or not. Blech....not feeling defeated yet...


(1 hour later) ooh...found a center that doesn't have a program fee...off to another seminar!

8 comments:

  1. Hello! Just found your blog through your comment over at Band-Babe's. Best of luck to you as you start this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog through your comment on Bonnie's blog. Welcome! I was banded a month ago and am doing great! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Mine had no program fee either! I had to pay the $2000 yearly max., but I'm not complaining, many paid the whole thing. Do you have any old calendars with your weight, or visits to any Drs. that show your weight going down and up, or enrollment in Weight Watchers or other programs...that's what they're looking for, but ask the question at your seminars to get other ideas of what will work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an old weight watchers thing, but I only went once and then did the online thing. I have a membership at another online weight loss thing, a gym membership and a few dr visits plus my ob from my 4th pregnancy. I've been at 280 or over for 5 years now. I'm hoping that will be enough, I would hate to be denied because of my terrible organizational skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Now I'm following yours. Glad you found an office without a program fee. Mine doesn't have one either. My insurance required a 6 month medically supervised diet, so I've been seeing a nutritionist for 6 months out of my surgeons office. As you know, I'm now waiting for the approval to come through so definitely appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking to make sure I'm following you...
    I am now...

    It's really crappy about insurance and bariatric surgery (and I work for an insurance company). My employer group finally bought the bariatric rider starting Jan 2009. The benefit was only 50%... but I found a way and am soooooooooo glad I did. The band is so worth the effort. Good luck, you'll make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah...definitely shop around. But make sure you like the surgeon and the office too, of course. My doc had an $800 program fee but I am lucky enough to work for a company that gives their employees some flex money every year which covered it. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Welcome to bloggy-land :0) It's fun here!

    That's crazy that a program fee can be that high,.. I hope that you can find someone to work with fast and get on the path of getting healthy!

    ReplyDelete